I've had great success connecting to the CMX Location API and have a nodejs instance collecting information about devices discovered by my MX64W. The distance information under the client.location.unc seems to vary widely. Most of my questions are around the accuracy of this information.
- Is there some kind of site survey I can do to increase the accuracy?
- Will the accuracy of this field within the CMX location API increase with mutliple APs?
- Do all MR models support the CMX location API?
- Strictly from a location pinpointing devices perspective does the models supporting 802.11ac (vs just 802.11n) increase accuracy or do a better job of finding devices? If you just wanted location data - can you get away with just using cheaper/older APs?
- I noticed a blog that showed that there was a CMX Location API along with RTLS API. However I can't seem to find any documentation showing how to connect to the RTLS api.
APIs Made for Meraki
- Is there any way to increase or decrease the frequency of information sent to the individual CMX post-URLs?
Thanks for posting a question.
- The MX64W can only track the proximity of devices to the wireless access point. One device cannot position a device accurately. You'll need a minimum of 4-5 access points to track a device within a room.
- Yes, the accuracy is determined by the density and layout of the access points.
- Yes, every MR has CMX location analytics and the API.
- Yes, you can get away with using cheaper models for WiFi tracking. However, for a micro-location solution you may want to consider using bluetooth beacons. The MR32, MR42, MR52, MR53, and MR72 all have built-in bluetooth beacons.
- The real-time location services data feed is not a Cloud-based API and we follow the standards set out by two companies, Airista-Ekahau, and Stanley-AeroScout. We don't have detailed documentation we publish on their standards, but you can likely find more online. You can read more about these companies and their integration with Meraki here: Meraki Developers
- The more access points you have the more frequent the POST updates from the API. The interval is not configurable.
Please sign in to leave a comment.