I have a single workflow for provisioning VMs in multiple physical datacenters.
Each datacenter has it's own vCenter with multiple ESX Clusters, thus one "cloud" per datacenter
Each Cloud has multiple vDCs
Each Cloud has multiple vmware templates which are set up as Catalog Items
My current workflow prompts the user for the desired machine name, the cloud [vmwareCloudNamesList], the vdc [vDC], and the catalog item [Custom LOV] (along with some system specs)
How do I limit the usrVDC and usrCatalog items based on the usrCloud selection? The Cisco UCS Director Custom Workflow Task Management Guide indicates that this is possible, but does not go in to detail.
I ended up making sure that my fields used the CONTAINS filter, and had all my Catalogs prefixed with the specific VDC Image syntax.
My VMware Images also had a specific syntax (COUNTRY_SITE_OS_VER) and I again Filtered with CONTAINS on that if I needed to cut it down further.
Also, If I had different domains, I ended up having to use the Application Types to specify DNS, WINS, Domain and Addressing Schema and make the catalog item use that application type to override the VDC settings.
I couldn't see a way to specify that in the workflow to reference the VDC properties. And since we have single infrastructures split with many domains it makes no sense to duplicate infrastructure inside each VDC - I had double the number of VMs.
Not Ideal by any means. So many things half baked in the workflow part of UCSD it's not even funny.
Don't get me started about getting ActiveDirectory info, filtered and live....
Thanks for the input. Sounds like we are struggling with similar issues. Multiple AD domains spread across multiple data centers. Director could use a lot of work in these types of configurations. Some simple variables such as "DNS suffix", join to domain credentials, etc, are baked into VMware System Policies that can't be edited and have a 1 to 1 relationship with a vDC.
Note: I was able to get it to work in 5.2, but when we upgraded to 220.127.116.11 it stopped working for some reason